Saturday, February 07, 2009

Home Office?

Allright. I really want to know. Just who thought up the idea of
a home-office...and does anyone really..I mean really use them
efficiently? This is a shot of our school-room (now there's a laugh)/
home office/morning room/laundry room..that also houses our piano.

Rumor has it that this is the spot where I can accomplish all my
home paper-trail stuff. You know..grant writing, social service
forms for various families, program development for the Club, occasional sermon writing and..heaven forbid.. eventually produce a transcript or something for the boys.

When you turn the corner..you can see that I have an actual desk with computer (I stole it from Austen..my laptop has been in a repair store for..count this 4 months!). We just happen to have
all my books on shelves next to the washer and dryer around the other corner.

I told Brian this morning that I didn't think this was working. I need space! I tell him. He looks
at me incredulously. Well..there's the tree-house. Oi..I think..here we go with the tree-house again. I stare back at him. Do you want to put your stuff in our room again? he asks. I try this every year. It lasts a month and drives me crazy. The problem with having all your work stuff in your room is you never really rest. Let's face it. There is always more work to be done in any social-service type work. Going to bed and waking up to piles of unfinished work makes me unbearable to live with. No. I tell him. I want my own room. Can't you build me a room?

I know I am being unreasonable..but come on..how hard could it be? Really.

The truth is..our house is too crowded to work in any open space. Just around the corner is thekitchen. It usually looks like this. You
know with people and stuff. And while I am a pretty social person, I don't think I have sat at the computer to do, well, anything, in over 5 years without someone peeking their head from the kitchen (and there is always someone in the kitchen!). If it looks like I might be remotely involved in something than I feel a presence of some tall boy or man looking over my shoulder. And then the question "Whachya doin'?". They don't really want to know. They either want the computer, or want to tell me something important. You know..where my undivided attention is needed immediately!
Now add Odyssey of the Mind into the equation. For the next month or two my living room
will always look like this..only with many more small people not seen in this particular picture. They are great kids!..but they are constantly looking for stuff. Glue, duct-tape, paint basically, anything that might be stored in a morning room/school room/office/laundry room!
I realize (again) that my quest for quiet office space is in vain. I do not want to climb a tree
to find quiet. Luckily, the weather is getting a little warmer. I look at our back deck. It has served me well every Spring so far.

The floor and roof need to be painted, new plants could be hung, but it's sure quiet.....

I think it's time to claim my new office!
Weekly Menu:
Sunday: catfish, beans, corn-bread, onion
Monday: quiche, spinach salad
Tuesday: black beans and rice, fruit salad
Wednesday: Quesadillas, fruit smoothies
Thursday: Lasagna, french bread, green beans
Friday: dinner in Austin
Saturday: out-to-eat with Brian :)

No comments: