Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Homeschooling Top 10

I recently let myself spend more time than necessary reading and responding to some blogs over at teacher, revised. I created my own "Top 10 Reasons to Homeschool" in response to "A Case Against Homeschooling". My responses, however, were merely responses to the Top 10 reasons not to homeschool.

Later I started wondering, What would be our Top 10 reasons, you know, like for real? This is the list I have come up with. It is very specific to our family:

10: We like it.

9. We can stay up late around a campfire, watch stars from the trampoline, play flashlight tag and have overnights during the school week.

8. We can sleep late.

7. Austen can build a gyrocopter, work and be active in Civil Air Patrol and still have time to play.

6. Cody can build the EuroTrans business, work, play lots of soccer..and still have time to play.

5.Brian could computer-program, teach karate, go to gymnastics and still have time to play.

4. Park Days

3. Odyssey of the Mind and the Boys and Girls Club. (even when we complain about them both)

2. Reading together hour after hour, day after day, year after year.

1. Conversations, conversations and conversations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your list - especially numbers 1 and 2. I wouldn't trade those moments for anything public school can offer.